My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

RECOMPENSE - an excerpt

RECOMPENSE -  an excerpt

"The day I first met Maurice Wilson I thought that at last my coin had landed heads up.  I was at work as usual when this black man came into the post office and said he wasn't sure where he was to go in order to report for work.  Now this was maybe twenty-five years ago and in my whole life I had never met a black man before.  "I've been hired as a mail carrier," he told me.

"Congratulations!" I said before I directed him to the main post office where he could report for work.

He thanked me and then at the end of my work day when I was locking the doors of the sub post-office I was taken by surprise.  "Hello again," he said.

I turned and returned his smile, "Hello."

"I haven't lived in High River for very long," he told me.  "Today was my first day on the job and it went very well."

"I'm happy to hear that."

"In my country when something good like this happens it is customary to celebrate."

"Your country?"

"Yes, will you come and have dinner with me and I will tell you all about it?"

"I simply stood and stared at this man.  I could not remember the last time a man had invited me out for dinner.  I was stunned.  But not so stunned that I was going to refuse.  "Thank you.  I'd like to have dinner with you."



RECOMPENSE  is available exclusively on Amazon
in Paperback and Kindle formats.

Visit my author's page at  https://www.amazon.com/author/audreyaustin

Thank you for your positive reviews on Amazon and on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment