My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Monday, January 14, 2019

Joshua's Journey - an excerpt

Joshua's Journey -- an excerpt

"The kid gets up from the table and walks out of the kitchen.  I sit there wondering what I should do.  I finish eating my roast beef, look all around the big kitchen but I can't see the pretty Philippino lady.  Maybe I should find her and tell her about the kid's plan to run away from home.  But then, why should I?  It's no skin off my nose.  I don't even like kids.

I'm getting up from the table.  I reach for my walker and begin my journey back to my room.  I leave the kitchen and as I walk through the dining room towards the exit I see the pretty lady coming my way.  "Did you enjoy your lunch, Joshua?" she asks.

"You're a mama," I say.

"Yes, Joshua.  I'm a mama.  Victoria is my baby."

"I remember my mama.  She was pretty too.  I left her when I was a kid, not much older than your daughter."

"That must have broken her heart, Joshua.  Did you ever go back to see her?"

"Nope, I never did.  I figured she was better off without me hanging around her neck, holding her back.  See, my mama was a white lady.  In those days a white lady with a black kid had no chance of a future."

"Joshua, I wouldn't care what colour my child was.  If she was purple I'd still want her with me.  Don't you know true love is colour blind?"

"True love is colour blind, you say?  No, I never thought of it that way.  You love your little girl?"

"More than life, Joshua."

"Hmm, well, pretty lady, I like being by myself.  I don't care about other people and I never did learn to like kids.  But I met your Victoria.  She's got spunk.  She kind of reminds me of me when I was a kid."

"Oh, she's got spunk, all right, Joshua!"

"Pretty lady, I probably should mind my own business but there's something about Victoria you've got to know."






Joshua's Journey is a short story that dares to stand alone in Amazon's Kindle Store.

Joshua's Journey is also available in both Kindle and Paperback formats in Social Studies, Book One sub-titled Dying To Be Popular along with eleven other favourite short stories.

Social Studies, Book One is part of a trilogy of short story anthologies all with the focus on social issues for your reading enlightenment and enjoyment.


Cover designs on the anthology trilogy are by https://yuneekpix.com

Thanks for visiting my Amazon author's page

and thanks in advance for your positive reviews
on Amazon and on Goodreads.


No comments:

Post a Comment