My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy St. Valentine's Day

Matters of the heart are under the spotlight on St. Valentine's Day.  It is a time to acknowledge the love I share with the people in my life; my family and dearest friends.

And this honouring of love extends to my little dog, Dudley, whose very existence is a lesson in unconditional love.

But I feel the tugging at my heart strings when I think of the dogs, cats and other animals who have no family to spoil them.   I pray the homeless animals are not roaming the cold, winter streets but have found shelter with Society for Animals in Distress (SAD).   This is a good time to think of taking out a membership in SAD.  So many four-legged friends depend upon our help.

And as I watch the little sparrow in my backyard, I wonder how does this tiny creature, and others like him, survive the cruelty of winter.    My love for all of God's creatures and for our poor suffering planet seems never enough.   Compassion in our world sometimes seems in short supply and my heart splinters when I hear news of animal cruelty.  I can't bear to think of poor, defenceless animals at the mercy of sick, twisted humans who inflict atrocities on the innocent four-legged critters.

And I think of St. Francis of Assissi, the patron saint of the animal kingdom.

"Not to hurt the creatures brethren is our first duty to them,
but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission -
to be of service to them wherever they require it."
Saint Francis

Matters of the heart are in the spotlight today. 

And as we buy cards and gifts for our loved ones, let us not forget the four-legged creatures.  A gift of love to SAD or theWildlife Federation is a wonderful way to celebrate this special day.

My heart is full and I wish everyone a very happy St. Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment