My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Monday, January 10, 2011

"An idle mind is the devil's workshop and the devil's name is Alzheimer's"

".....and the devil's name is Alzheimer's"......

There are numerous ways to keep a mind alive and active but there is one thing I encourage everyone to do in order to avoid the possibility of having an idle mind and that one thing is "Memoir Writing".

You may say, hey, I'm not a writer!

Never mind that!  Everyone is a writer......if you can think, you can write.  Write down your thoughts and record your memories.

On Saturday, October 22nd, 2011 we will celebrate Elliot Lake Writers' Fall Festival 2011 at the Civic Centre from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

One of our guest facilitators will be medical doctor and award-winning author, Dr. Ross Pennie, who will be presenting a workshop from 9 a.m. until noon on "Memoir Writing."

My little dog, Dudley, has what is termed doggy dementia.  Now my little old man certainly cannot write but throughout my days of caring for him my heart and my eyes are opened to a deeper awareness of the aging process that those of us who are fortunate to live long lives experience.  Growing old is not always a lot of fun but when we consider the alternative we know we are blessed to live a long life.

But to out-live myself is something I have no desire to do.

I learned very recently that someone very near and dear to me has been diagnosed with the dread disease of Alzheimer's.

Also for some time now I have been volunteering with a friend at a nursing home where the residents have Alzheimer's Disease.   

Now these people have led amazing, productive, interesting, happy, sad and enriched lives and in that process they have enriched the lives of those they have known and loved.

They each have a story to tell.

Alzheimer is a thief!   He has confused their stories!  He has in many cases stolen their stories!

Elliot Lake is primarily a retirement community.  I retired more than two years ago. The majority of my friends and acquaintances are also happily retired.  In the last couple of years I have been informed that a few of my acquaintances have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

And now that the devil has come even closer to home, I have decided that my next writing project will be to write my own memoirs....

The timing of Dr. Ross Pennie's visit to our town could not be better.  I look forward to being one of his students.    Just like you, I have a story to tell......everyone has a story to tell.

And why wait until October to get started?  Why not start now by jotting down notes, beginning your outline, thinking about the many events, people, experiences in your life?  Start recording all that you can remember.

My Mom used to tell me, "If you want something done, then simply begin."

I encourage you to do so.  When Dr. Pennie arrives for the Writers' Festival in October we will all benefit from the knowledge and wisdom he will share with us in his Memoir Writing Workshop.

But don't wait until then to get started. 

To quote an old saying, "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today."

To learn more visit the website of the Alzheimer Society of Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment