My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day ... my Irish Connection

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  May you always have the luck of the Irish!

My Irish connection goes way back to my great-grandmother Jane Dawson who was a direct descendant of Colonel Dawson of County Monaghan, Ireland.

There is an Obelisk in County Monaghan, a memorial honouring Colonel Dawson.  Below is a photo of the memorial.


I've never been to Ireland but I hope one day I will go there and when I do I will certainly want to visit the site of this Obelisk. 

May your day be touched
by a bit of Irish luck,
brightened by a song in your heart,
and warmed by the smiles
of the people you love.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!     

"Patricius was born in Roman Britain in the 4th century. His father and grandfather were deacons of the Church. Two letters about his life tell how, at age 16, he was kidnapped and taken to Ireland as a slave and how he was told by God in a dream to flee to the coast and board a ship sailing to Britain.
Upon his return, he joined the Church in Gaul and studied to be a priest, After becoming a Bishop, he was again called by God to bring Christianity to Ireland, remaining true to his evangelical mission for more than 30 years, converting the entire country to Christianity until his death on March 17, 461.
The exact date of his canonization is not clear but Patrick’s sainthood has became a worldwide celebration that would not be complete without the shamrock. Why is the green shamrock plant such an important part of St. Patrick’s Day?
Because Patrick used it as a symbol of the Holy Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Ghost)."



4 comments:

  1. Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    It has always been a happy one in our family with all branches of ancestors hailing from the Irish land in the late 1800s, some of them from Wicklow, some from other parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A special Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, Patricia! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Audrey!
    By the way, this evening CBC showed a very interesting documentary about and Irish family's history of relocating to Canada. I think it was called Famine and Shipwrecks--you might like to check the CBC site.
    Best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info, Patricia. I will check it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete