My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Recompense ... an excerpt

an excerpt

"We are supposed to have dinner at seven p.m.  By eight p.m. I figure she is not going to arrive.  I am disappointed but keep my feelings hidden.  I decide to go back to the hotel and go to bed.  I know Conrad will be occupied with his friend, Alice.  I know Alison had told me she wants an early night so I prepare myself for a night alone in my hotel room.  Maybe I will just watch some T.V.  It does not feel good to know that I have been stood up.  But in a way I don't blame her at all.  Why would a young woman like Marilyn want to spend time with an old goat like me anyway?

I leave the bar and head for the restaurant's exit.  Just as I am about to leave the elderly lady with the white hair approaches me.  "Excuse me," she says with a smile.

"Yes?"

"Are you Martin Wilson?"

"I am, yes."

"Martin, it's me!  It's me, Marilyn!  I have been waiting for you at a table over there."

I nearly fall over.  What a predicament!  She could have been Marilyn's mother.  My lovely young Marilyn is older than me.  She is twice the size she is in the photo I received from her and now her lovely soft blond hair is as white as a moonlit sail.  Well practiced in not revealing my true emotion, I believe I handle the meeting as well as I possibly could.

"Hello Marilyn," I respond.

*******

About Recompense

Maurice Wilson lives in Salt River, a small town near Cape Town, South Africa.  He is the son of a black father and a Caucasian mother.   After the sudden death of his parents he makes the decision to move to High River, Alberta, Canada; the place of his mother's birth in search of a sense of belonging.  He becomes a Canadian citizen, is employed  as a mail carrier for Canada Post.  The morning of his first day on the job he meets Alison Pierce, a plain woman whose silent passions run deep.  Shortly into her relationship with Maurice all her hopes for fulfillment plummet however she continues to live with him for more than twenty-five years.  In their later years Maurice and Alison become acquainted with the Senior Befriender Chat Room.  When temptation with the name of Conrad enters their lives the shared bonds of loyalty and trust are put in jeopardy.  Will deception rule the day?

Recompense is a novel available exclusively on Amazon in Paperback and Kindle formats.

Thanks for visiting my Amazon Author's Page

And thank you for your positive review on Amazon and on Goodreads.  It is much needed and appreciated by me.

Watch for the release of my latest novel titled The Observer which will be released spring of 2020.



No comments:

Post a Comment