My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Dinner at Seven - an excerpt

an excerpt

"Then I hear Brenda out in the kitchen.  Before long she is back in my bedroom carrying a tray holding a pot of herbal tea and two cups.  "I've cancelled my date, Marsha.  Now tell me, what on earth is going on?  Should I call a doctor, Marsha?  Are you ill?"

I can't find words to answer.  I stare vacantly and I can see that I am scaring Brenda though I truly don't want to be doing that.  I continue to stare into nothingness.

I can hear Brenda.  "Marsha, it's me.  It's Brenda.  Are you okay?  Oh, please be okay, Marsha!"

It takes great effort but finally my eyes blink.  I can survey my surroundings and I know I am home.  "Brenda," I say.  And then the dam breaks again.  "Oh, my god, Brenda!  I want to die!"  Through my ravaged tears I cry in pain.  "I need to hide.  I want to die."

I see Brenda pick up the phone.  "I will call the doctor, Marsha."

I plead with my friend.  "No, Brenda, don't!  Don't please!  I don't want to see anyone!"

She replaces the phone and says, "I've made some green tea, Marsha."

She is speaking to me the way one would speak to an injured child or an elderly invalid.  She cajoles me in a mother-like way.  "Come on now, sit up and let me pour you some tea."

I respond to her motherly warmth.  I struggle to sit up.  I feel totally disoriented but Brenda persists in her gentle manner and places the warm cup in my hand.  Finally, sipping the warm tea, my body relaxes a little and my torrential tears are replaced by soft tears that fall freely down my face and drip, unchecked, from my chin.

"There's a good girl," Brenda soothes.  "There's nothing like a good cry and a good cup of tea to make a woman feel better."  She hands me some tissues and asks, "Do you want to talk about it?"

*******

About Dinner at Seven  Marsha's story begins in the Carrington Club in Toronto in 1985.  She is in the doldrums until David enters the scene.  Love and romance make themselves at home in Marsha's heart.  But, too soon, deception and betrayal send her on her way to beautiful Bermuda.  She needs to escape the challenges and obstacles that are determined to get in the way.  Marsha tries to immerse herself in her career but the power of love cannot be under-estimated.

Dinner at Seven is available exclusively on Amazon in Paperback and Kindle format.

Thanks for visiting my Amazon Author's Page

Your positive review is most welcome and appreciated.

Watch for the release of my latest novel titled The Observer spring of 2020.













No comments:

Post a Comment