My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Moose Road, a Canadian Tragedy -- an excerpt

#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Canadian > Drama

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic and compelling April 7, 2014
Format:Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
Austin has written a not so simple story, weaving the lives of multiple residents on Moose Road around one tragic accident that leaves no one on the road or in the nearby Northern Ontario Canada town untouched. The subplots tug at our desire to comfort some residents of this town with a hug and those same subplots yank at our exasperation switch yelling at us to slap sense into some of these same people. The main story cries for our attention and gets it.

Austin is able to show us one tragedy from every point of view except the moose. The characters are so real that I wonder what Austin's neighbors thought about having their secret lives dragged into the public view. I started this book just to have something to read in between my own chores. However... to heck with the chores, I finished the book in one sitting.
4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down; leads to reflection perhaps June 13, 2014
Format:Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
The first narrator, the road itself, reappears to provide commentary on the views and viewpoints of the families living in this rural community. Strong characterizations that are not stereotyped help the book develop thoughtfully. The Canadian setting added local flavor to a 'far north' setting. I found this book enjoyable - if you can say that about a tragedy.
Format:Kindle Edition
I liked it. Character development was pursued, felt like the reader got to know them, well.
Interesting plot, simply and warmhearted written. Just a quiet read, that left reader thinking...
5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic Story March 12, 2014
Format:Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
Very sad and tragic story told from many points of view. If only roads COULD talk we'd know so much.
 
An excerpt from Moose Road - a Canadian Tragedy:
 
Pg. 192:   "Ignorant! People living here on Moose Road are plain ignorant!  And so is everybody who works for the Town of Mansey!  And so is that Judge Gordon!  And so is that psychologist damn doctor!  Stupido!  All of them!"
 
Maria Faccchinello could not bear another minute of listening to her husband.  "Franco, I told you to shut your face.  You think I want to listen to you yelling and screaming around my house every day like this? You think it is good for Annalisa to listen to her grandfather acting dementia like a crazy person?"
 
"What you care about me, eh?  You got your Roseannne.  You got your Annalisa.  You even got your Rocco!  Everybody feeling sorry for poor Maria.  Poveri Voi!  What about me?  What about Franco?  I lose my Santo and nobody cares.  That crazy Judge, he says nobody to blame! What kind of crazy man says a thing like that?"
 
"Go out to the barn and help Rocco.  Ever since we lose our Santo you do nothing around this place.  Everything on the farm it is Rocco has to do it.  Yes, you lost your Santo.  I lose my Santo too.  Rocco lose his brother! You think you are the only one is hurt? I can't stand to listen to you anymore Franco!"
 
"When you ever want to listen to me?  Never is when you want to listen to me!"
 
 "Franco, dammi un po 'pi pace?   Please give me some peace."

"You want peace?  I give you peace!"  He slammed the door behind him and strode out to the barn.
 
Rocco was there.  He was preparing to milk the herd when Franco stormed into the barn.  "Dammi un po 'pi pace?"   I give you peace!"  He was screaming.
 
"What? Dad, what are you yelling about this time?"
 
"Peace!  She wants peace.  You think I don't want peace? Never again will I have peace. Somebody is to blame.  Who I am to blame?  The bus driver? The plow operator?  Who I am to blame, Rocco? Why they didn't have the sanding trucks out?  Do I blame the Town?"
 
"Let it go, Dad.  We all miss Santo but no matter how much screaming and yelling you do around here you cannot bring him back.  Let it go, Dad!"
 
"I let it go!  I give the peace!  I let it go!"
 
Reaching up Franco pulled his rifle down off the barn's wall.
 
"Dad, what are you going to do with the rifle?" Rocco shouted.
 
"I told you what I'm going to do.  I am going to let it go.  I am going to give the peace!"
 
"Dad, wait!"
 
Shotgun in hand, Franco rushed from the barn to his Chevy pick-up. He climbed into the cab and with wheels squealing he backed out of the long driveway onto Moose Road.
 
***************
Moose Road, a Canadian Tragedy is free today in the Kindle Store on all Amazon sites.
This book is available in both Kindle and Paperback formats on all Amazon sites
but it is also available in paperback directly from Create Space.com
The link to it is
CreateSpace eStore:   https://www.createspace.com/4463611
 
Beautiful cover design and illustrations throughout
are by Susan Ruby K.
 
Thanks for checking out my Amazon author's page at http://www.amazon.com/author/audreyaustin
 
And special thanks for your positive review on Amazon and/or Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment