My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Friday, February 13, 2015

An excerpt from Ellen and The Hummingtree



Ellen and The Hummingtree is available in both Kindle and Paperback format on all Amazon sites.  The  paperback edition is also available to purchase directly from Create Space.com   Here is the link that will take you to Ellen.  CreateSpace eStore:     https://www.createspace.com/4743813    Below is an excerpt from this fictional memoir.
Cover design by Susan Ruby K. of http://yuneekpix.com

An excerpt - Page 168:

He laughed!  The nerve of the man!

"Please Ellen, call me Jason.  I'm sure your daughters have given a lot of thought to this matter before they set up the appointment for this evening."

I turned my attention away from Jason Knobest and rested my hurt, angry eyes first upon my older daughter, Carol, and, secondly, upon my youngest girl, Sandi.  I said nothing.  My unwavering stare said it all just as it had years ago when I'd said, "It's time for bed so put those toys away now."  They understood my stare then and they understood now.

I looked into their eyes and wondered why; why are you doing this to me?

And it was as if they heard my thoughts.  Carol spoke first.

"We made the appointment last week, Mom, when you were very ill.  Sandi and I discussed it. We toured the retirement home.  We believed we were doing what was best for you."

Sandi added, "I'm sorry, Mom.  We jumped the gun.  Will you forgive us?"

"Please forgive us, Mom.  We've made a terrible blunder and we apologize."

I said nothing but turned away from my daughters' despair and, feeling much more in control of the situation now, I said, "Won't you join us for a cup of tea, Jason?"

"Why, yes, thank you, Ellen," he replied.

"Come girls, come back to the table,"  I invited.  "I know you meant well and, yes, all is forgiven."

"Thank you, Mom," they answered and as the four of us sat around the kitchen table that evening I took a closer look at this Jason Knobest.  My daughters are not the only ones who can develop ulterior motives.

"Jason," I asked, "I imagine that as the managing director of The Hawkwind Retirement Resort you make a comfortable living?"

"Oh, yes, Ellen.  And, more important, I enjoy the work."

"Are you a married man, Jason?"

"No, not yet, Ellen.  My career seems to demand too much of my time."

"Jason, did you know that my daughter, Sandi, is single too?"

"Mom!" Sandi shrieked,  "Stop it!  What do you think you are doing?"

"Well, Sandi," I answered, "I was thinking of setting up an appointment for you to meet with Jason one evening this week in order for you to get to know each other a little better."

"Mrs. Dawson, I assure you I am capable of making my own dates!"  Jason interrupted.

"Mom, what do you think you are doing?  My dating life is my personal business.  You have no right to set up appointments for me!"

"Oh, is that right, Sandi?  And do you agree with Sandi's statement, Carol?"

"Of course I do, Mom."

"And you, Jason?" Do you not think a mother has the right to arrange a date for her daughter?"

"Well, Ellen, I believe your daughters are both capable of making their own dates."

"I see, Jason.  So all three of you agree that it is wrong for one person to make an appointment for another without the other's consent?"

"Absolutely!" They all concurred.

"I rest my case, children.  Now if you will all excuse me, my bed awaits.  Be sure to lock the front door when you leave the house.  Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Mom, and I am truly sorry," Sandi said with a smile and a hug.

"I know you are, Sandi."

"I love you, Mom, and I'll never do it again," Carol promised.

"I know you won't, Carol."

"Ellen, please accept my humble apology," Mr. Knobest offered.

"Apology accepted, Jason.   And you can leave a brochure if you like.  I will take a look at it and, who knows, maybe the day will come when a tour of The Hawkwind Retirement Resort will be just what the doctor ordered."

***************
 
Thanks for checking out my author's page at http://www.amazon.com/author/audreyaustin
and special thanks for your positive reviews of my books on Amazon or Goodreads. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment