My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Gabrielle Roy - The Tin Flute

I have just finished re-reading The Tin Flute by Gabrielle Roy.

Of all the authors I have read I believe Ms. Roy has had the greatest influence on my reading and writing preferences.

She was born in St. Boniface, Manitoba in 1909.  As a young woman she travelled to Europe to study drama and it was during this two year period in London and Paris that she began her writing career.

Roy's first novel, The Tin Flute depicted the life of a working-class family in Montreal's Saint-Henri district with incredible realism.

Her many honours include three Governor General's awards, France's Prix Femina and Quebec's Prix David.

Gabrielle Roy died in Quebec City in 1983. 

She taught me the importance of "keeping it real."  I am grateful for the influence she has had on my writing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment