My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

A New Writing Project -- On The Radio

 A few years ago, in fact, way back in February of 2010, I submitted a manuscript into Wynterblue Publishing's Novella Competition.   I was overjoyed that my submission was placed among the top seven.  Of course, I don't know how many entered the competition.  Perhaps there were only seven entries.   Dear Maggie Kirton, it's a long time ago now, but do you remember?   

What I remember is that I felt very good and pleased with myself that I had written a three act play; something I had never done before.  And I don't mind adding, this is something I have not done since.

The only other play I have written was titled "Chocolate Cookies".  And with that play I remember feeling very happy that ELATE, my small town's local theatre group, selected this play and they presented it twice to audiences here in Elliot Lake.  It was my first attempt at play writing, and it was a one act play about sisters who rarely agreed with one another, especially when it came to the topic of diet, and about the husband of one of the sisters who skilfully managed to stay out of the sisters' arguments.

Now this three act play was titled "On The Radio".  The title was not my creation.  In fact, it was one of several titles suggested for the competition.  I don't remember how many choices were given but I do remember that "On The Radio" was subject #2 and the one that I chose.   I was also given the plot of the story.  It was to be about a late night radio show host who begins to receive calls from a nine-year-old boy using his mother's prepaid cell phone making the calls untraceable.

The story was to be close to 100% dialogue and it was to focus on social issues.  It did not have to be a play but I decided this was my opportunity to bite the bullet and write something I had never written before.

My novella, my play, ended up containing 18,444 words.   After that, it ended up on a shelf in my closet and that is where it has been sitting since eleven years ago.

I've recently completed the publication of my latest novel STRUGGLE - To Reach the Bridge of Light.

It is time for a new project.

Just this evening, for some strange reason, I thought about this play that I wrote long ago.  And then I began wondering how difficult or how easy will it be to convert this three act play into a novel.  Will it be possible to expand the original 18,444 words, nearly 100% dialogue, into a novel with at least 50,000 words?

I don't have the answer to the question as I type this blog post.  But I do, out of the blue, have the inclination and the motivation to find out.

My new writing project, starting tomorrow, will be the writing of my twenty-first novel.  It will be called, just like the play, "On the Radio".   Or will it?   Maybe the main character will not be a radio talk show host.  Maybe he will be a TV late night show host.   Or maybe his show will be live stream on the internet.  Or .....?    I don't know yet but  I will sleep on it tonight and hope I will know this by tomorrow.

Wish me luck on my new writing project!  Thank you.

And while I'm writing, I will be overjoyed if you will check out my latest book, titled STRUGGLE - To Reach the Bridge of Light which is available in both Kindle and Paperback format exclusively on Amazon.  https://www.amazon.ca/STRUGGLE-Reach-Bridge-Audrey-Austin/dp/B08YHYVB2D/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Audrey+Austin&qid=1617237270&s=books&sr=1-1

Cover design:  yuneekpix.com

Thanks for visiting my Amazon author's page at https://amazon.com/author/audreyaustin

No comments:

Post a Comment