My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Monday, December 1, 2014

Crabapple Court -- an excerpt


 
 
“Your Mom is right, boys.  The police will come here to question all of us.  Is there anything; anything at all you know about the disappearance of Susie?”

            “No, Dad, nothing.”

            “Are you okay, Heather?” Ernie asks.

            “I’m mad at myself, Ernie.  I never should have sedated Patricia and put her to sleep before she had a chance to talk to the police.  I didn’t even think twice about what I was doing. I could have used a lighter form of sedation without putting her out.  It was really stupid of me to do what I did.”

            “Don’t beat yourself up, Heather.  You did what you thought was right at the time.  Let it go.  What’s done is done.  When the police get here I just want everybody to relax.  Boys, just be sure to speak the truth and the questioning will soon be over.”

***

It isn’t until early the following day that the doorbell rings.  Peering through the living room window Heather can see a tall man in a grey suit standing near the front door.  Though not in uniform she thinks he looks like a cop.  Ernie and the boys are out with the search party.  She is home alone.  He looks like a cop, she thinks, but what if he isn’t?  Feeling totally on edge she doesn’t know whether to answer the door or not.
            The doorbell rings again.


Crabapple Court is a novella available in both Kindle and Paperback formats on all Amazon sites.

Check out my author's page at http://www.amazon.com/author/audreyaustin

By the way, don't forget that books make great gifts for Christmas giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment