My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Saturday, October 10, 2020

Today is National Mental Health Day in Canada

Today is National Mental Health Day in Canada.   Life is difficult during these covid days for everyone throughout our world and Canadians are no exception.

We are not used to spending so much time with ourselves.   We have always reached out, gone out, searched out to find our pleasures, entertainment; to satisfy our physical, mental, and spiritual needs.  

Going within is not an easy thing to do for many.

Being alone is not an easy way to be for many.

Because I've always been basically a home-body, I may or may not be finding this strange new world a little more comfortable than some.

I am not in possession of any statistics but I understand that many negative aspects of human living are on the rise.  Domestic abuse, drug & alcohol addiction, depression, anxiety, many fear-based conditions are on the rise.

I don't have the answers.  I can't kiss the world and make it all better.  If I could, I would.

But what I can do is share with you those things that have helped a lot to make my isolation more comfortable and easier to deal with.  I don't know if this will help you or not -- but it might and I'm pretty convinced my sharing won't do any harm.

I love to read.  Even as a little girl, I never felt lonely, as long as I had the companionship of a story book.   I encourage you to pick up a book and read.

I love to write creatively.  Is this something you have tried?  All you need is a paper and pen; or a laptop; and a little imagination.   Don't know what to write about?   That doesn't matter.  My mother taught me that if you want something done, simply begin.  So sit down, pick up the pen, and write.  Don't worry about what you are writing.  Just do it.  You may even like your story once written.  And while you are writing, just remember that it's the journey that is important; not the destination.  Take your time.  Enjoy.

I love to sing.   Do you like music?  Do you like to sing?  No, it doesn't matter if you think you have a good voice or not.  It doesn't matter even if you are tone deaf.  Singing is good for you; good for the soul.   If you own a tape recorder, record yourself singing your favourite songs. When you play them back you won't be able to resist a smile.  Maybe even a laugh!  Singing lifts the spirit.

I don't love housework but I do love my home.   Since we are saving some money by not traveling, we can afford to put a little money into our homes.  Maybe some new curtains, a new carpet, some fresh cheerful paint on a wall.  Home projects do not have to be major but the resulting good feelings can be very major indeed.   

Spend time outdoors.  Take a walk, explore your neighbourhood, visit the local park, breathe in the beauty of the season.   

By spending time outdoors, even if only an hour in the backyard, or a short walk by the lake, you will feel invigorated.   And if it is cold outside, you will appreciate the warmth of your home once you return.

I love oil painting even though I'm still waiting for the arrival of my teacher.   

What do you love to do?  Whatever it is - just do it.  I know we can be our own worst critics but try to ignore that nasty little fellow and just do those things you truly enjoy.

There are many ways to exercise.  If you like music, let it play and dance around your house.  No partner?  That doesn't matter.   Dancing alone can be very freeing; very relaxing; and with a little imagination, you can believe you are performing on stage to an appreciative audience.  Just enjoy!

Stay in touch with people you love through social media.  Of course it is not as good as meeting and sharing in person.  But, make the effort!  It is important to stay in touch with family and friends even if you cannot get together around a table for a meal or a cup of tea the way you used to do.

Do you live alone?  That's okay, I do too.  Except I don't because I have the wonderful companionship of my little chihuahua, Lila.  She needs me and that's good for me.  I need to wake up to give her breakfast.  I need to take her out to pee, to play, to enjoy some fresh air.  If you live alone, why not give a good home to a little dog or cat, if you are not already doing so?

We are often hard on ourselves.  You say you can sometimes be your own worst enemy.  But with just a little effort, motivation, and love, it is possible to be your own best friend.

This morning the sun is shining.  It's going to be a good day.   Happiness is a choice.  It's up to you, but I care, and many people care, about you.  Be good to yourself on National Mental Health Day and every day.

Love & hugs I send your way.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment