My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Granny - a poem by T.L. Cooper

Memories of you
Have begun to fade ever so slightly
I fear they'll desert me entirely one day
So I remind myself
Birthday cards with a few dollars, more than you could afford
Letters in college that encouraged and reminded
Always began
"My Dearest Granddaughter"
I thought it old-fashioned then
Now I cherish those words
I read every single letter with joy, hidden but real
Perhaps my love of books came from you
You read voraciously
Stacks of books and magazines cluttered your house
You read your chapters in the Bible each night
How many "most chapters read" pins did you win?
Family meant everything to you
Yet you lived alone much of the time
Widowed before I was born
Raised two of your grandchildren
You set an example of independence
Though I wouldn't recognize it for years
I reveled in your pride in my accomplishments
Drawers filled with mementos of your family's successes
Cherished quietly, privately, and yet not so privately
You bore responsibility for your life
Made things work when they seemed desperate
You were stronger than it appeared
I see that now
Perhaps I should've appreciated you more then
As I do now
Published by T. L. Cooper
T. L. Cooper grew up in Tollesboro, Kentucky. She earned a Bachelor of Science in Corrections from Eastern Kentucky University. She has published poetry in anthologies, short stories, and articles.

I love your poem, Ms. Cooper.  Thank you for allowing me to share it with others on this blog.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment