My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Thursday, April 9, 2020

The Strange New World in Which I Find Myself - 3

Today is April 9th, 2020.  More importantly, today is Maundy Thursday.  Maundy Thursday is the Christian holy day falling on the Thursday before Easter.  It commemorates the Washing of the Feet and the Last Supper of Jesus Christ as described in the Bible.

Maundy Thursday is also known as Holy Thursday, Covenant Thursday, Great and Holy Thursday, Sheer Thursday, and Thursday of Mysteries, among other names.

Of all these names, my favourite is the Thursday of Mysteries.  I've read several books on the mysticism of Christ and this is a subject that fascinates me.  I am more of a spiritual person than a religious one as most of you who know me realize.  The mysticism in all religions and traditions is something I am always open to learn more about.

I've just finished reading the Maundy Thursday service that I received through my email from my United Church Minister, Rev. Cory Vermeer-Cuthbert.   I appreciated this service and as I was guided by her words I did symbolically eat of the bread, drink of the wine, even if what I really did was eat of a cracker and drink of my chamomile tea.  God knows I always try to do the best I can with what I've got.

I also washed my hands in memory of Jesus whose feet were washed that sad day prior to his crucifixion.   Thank you Rev. Cory for this opportunity to carry out this symbolic ritual, even though there is no church open to attend a service during these days of Covid-19,

And now I sit here drinking my tea and I don't feel like smiling as I look through my dining room window and see the snow falling.   Only this morning I opened my shed and carried two deck chairs into my backyard so that my best friend and I could visit, socially distancing ourselves, but at least in the comfort of a chair.   

Today it is probably too cold for a visit and, in any event, our wonderful age-friendly shopping/delivery service is part of my best friend's schedule today and that is something he doesn't want to miss by leaving home.

I was grateful to have my food order delivered by kind city staff yesterday.  I placed my order Monday and received my groceries Wednesday.  Considering the high number of seniors these staff members are assisting in this way, I think the timing of my wait was amazing.  They are doing an incredible job and offering a much appreciated service to those seniors who, like me, are in self-isolation.

Today, so far, I haven't been sticking to the schedule I set for myself just a few days ago; the schedule that mental health experts suggest we create in order to provide much needed structure in our lives at this time.

I began my morning as usual by making the bed. I sometimes question the wisdom of such an act but as a friend reminded me recently, beginning the day with an act of completion, with a sense of achievement, lays a good foundation for the activities that follow throughout the day.  Making the bed is a motivator.

Then, as usual, before making my breakfast I let Sam and Lila out into the yard to do their duty before giving them their breakfast.

My schedule indicated it was time for my piano lesson at 9:30 but long before then I was already immersed in watching Dr. Tam and other Canadian health authorities as they presented their federal projections regarding Covid-19 for our beautiful Canada.   Dr. Tam reminded us, as she always does, to stay at home; to continue self-distancing; to wash our hands.  

As expected, the projections were not something to get excited about or to sing about.  It was suggested that possibly the end of summer could be the end of the first wave of the pandemic.  But she stressed that it was really too early to know when the peak will be reached.    I appreciate the straightforward, calm, and careful ways these projected statistics were shared.

Today I did get to my piano lesson.  Ann Foy, you may be interested in knowing that this morning I was playing "When The Saints Go Marching In", my introduction to three chords.  And I thought, with my weird sense of humour, that maybe it wasn't the worst choice of songs to be playing in these crazy days.

My planned
schedule has really been ignored today but that's all right.   Each day is a new gift and I never know what will take place but I hang onto the mantra that I  created for myself yesterday during my online course, "I am receiving all that is good in my life."

It's time to feed my pups and almost time to prepare my own supper so I won't be working on my course today, nor will I be doing any painting, but as Scarlet would say, "Tomorrow is another day."

I hope you are enjoying this day despite the isolation; despite the nasty weather.  

And I keep sending out the same reminder.  I've written a lot of stories.  They are all available exclusively on Amazon.  I hope you will want to buy and read one.  They are available in paperback or in Kindle format.  Five of my stories are available as audiobooks on Amazon, Audibles, and iTunes.   My Canadian readers will most appreciate Amazon.ca  
  

https://www.amazon.ca/OBSERVER-His-Eye-Sparrow-ebook/dp/B0854BRFX8/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Audrey+Austin&qid=1586464123&s=books&sr=1-4   is the link to my most recent publication and my author's page is found at https://amazon.com/author/audreyaustin

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.  I love you all.




Our Getting High On Life women's workshop
focusing on Emotional Healing and Being Authentic
originally scheduled for May 11th
has been postponed.
I hope to see you
Monday, September 21st, 2020
in the Meeting Room of our local library.

Hopefully by then Covid-19 will be just a memory.








No comments:

Post a Comment