My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Strange New World in Which I Find Myself - 2



Today is Wednesday, April 8th, 2020.  I've just finished sanitizing and putting away the groceries kindly shopped for and delivered to me by the City.  In this instance, it is a big thank-you to Brenda Lackie for taking my order over the phone, and to Meghan for making the trip to No Frills where she shopped for me and delivered the groceries to my side porch.  
How wonderful that today I received 19 of the 20 items I requested.  Powdered milk is something I have been ordering for the past three orders but I understand it must be in short supply.
This is the third time I have used the free Age Friendly Service offered by our beautiful City of Elliot Lake.  I recall that my first order was taken over the phone by Pat McGurk, our lovely librarian, while my second order was taken by Darla Hennessey.    How caring these people are to give of their time to help seniors such as myself who are in self-isolation due to Covid-19.   I am grateful to all city employees who are giving of their time in this generous and thoughtful way.

I am sticking to the schedule I've set for myself during these days of isolation.  This morning early I had a wonderful time re-learning the piano lessons taught to me by Ann Foy several years ago.  I have no talent for piano playing but this doesn't prevent me from having fun learning the notes, the hand placement, the chords.  These lessons even remind me to watch my posture and keep my back straight; not something I am as proficient at as I could be.  I think I spend too many hours literally hunched over my laptop.

Today, as I've been doing every day for the past three weeks of self-isolation, I did my 30 minute moderate aerobic exercises on the completion of which  after many kicks, side-steps, and knee lifts, I manage to complete a 2 mile walk around my house.  Thanks to Lesley Sanson, I am guided through the steps and I enjoy the music on the old cassette tape.  The exercise is almost like dancing and dancing, although something I love to do, is something I haven't done since Valentine's Day, and only the good Lord knows when I will be asked to dance again.

I continued with my Udemy course today and today I was encouraged to be 'bold and loud' … not screaming loud Zayra Mo instructed, but assertively loud.   I can still hear her now saying, don't be afraid to say NO.  And when you want and need to say NO, say it loud, say it with meaning.   I really am growing to love Zayra and her course.   She has an amazing personality.

And today prior to the sound therapy with her beautiful crystal singing bowls, I was instructed to take a few minutes and write my personal mantra; one that I could take into the meditation.  I thought of a few things before deciding on an affirmative 'I am' mantra.  The one I chose is 'I am receiving all that is good in my life.'

And I believe that I am -- to receive all but one of my grocery items today made me believe my magical mantra is working for me.

I don't know if I will write in this blog every day but I am going to try to do so.   Other things on today's schedule that I've yet to do are to go downstairs into my basement art room and do some oil painting.  I haven't done any oil painting for a long time and I'm still waiting for the teacher to appear, which makes me realize I am not yet ready.  But that's okay, whether I am talented at painting or not, does not take away from the enjoyment I experience in the process.  Once I finish the painting I started working on yesterday, and will continue with this afternoon, I will post it in one of my blog entries.  Even when my paintings are not amazing, I still agree with instructor, Zayra, and I show my work to the world.  I'm not afraid to be bold and loud, even if I do usually talk in a quiet tone -- not always, but usually. 

I'm grateful that I am not alone in my self-isolation.  Sam and Lila are amazing companions.  My little furbabies help to keep me on my schedule with their meal times and of course the necessary daily poop patrol that I carry out each day in my backyard.

And I'm grateful that I have a backyard and a deck where I sometimes just walk in a large circle as I silently meditate and enjoy the warmth of the sun on days it decides to shine.  I'm sure if anyone happened to see me walking in these circles they would be sure to think I'm an actor in the old movie, 'The Snake Pit'.   Anyone remember that old classic movie about the woman in the mental institution?

I don't have a schedule for my evenings.  They are pleasurable with me mostly watching movies on TV.  Each evening my Kindle Reader is there for me and I relax reading a good story.  I'm fortunate that I love to read and I love to write.   I also love to learn.  Even as a little kid I always adored school, learning new things and meeting new challenges.    If you also enjoy learning, I do recommend the Udemy courses.   If you look for them, you will find free or low-cost courses on a variety of topics that you can do in your own time online.  

I do listen to the news, or watch the news I guess I should say.  I primarily watch CBC for the news and I greatly admire and respect both our Canadian Prime Minister and our Ontario Premier for their strong leadership skills during this challenging time for everyone.

And they are challenging times for everyone.   Of course, I wish the best for all, but there is some small comfort in knowing that in these days of self-isolation I am not alone.   Other than essential workers, we are all called upon to practice social distancing and in many cases, self-isolation.

One of my American writer friends, Earl Sewell, lives in Chicago.  He tells me that everyone in his city has been ordered to 'shelter in place'.   I like that term 'shelter in place'.   I think it sounds much more warm and friendly than the words 'self isolation'.   Yes, the words are different but the meaning remains the same.   Stay home!

And that's what I'm doing and I hope my writing is of interest to you.   I never know what each day is going to bring.  I'm never sure what I will write about.  But I do find that once I've written the first sentence or two, the words just seem to jump out onto the page without a lot of help from me.

So now I will re-read what I've written; correct any spelling mistakes that I'm sure I have made, and I hope you may find some benefit somewhere from something I've said.   If my blogging encourages you to start blogging, I'll be overjoyed to hear about that.

By the way, a reminder again that I have written a lot of short stories and books that are all available exclusively on Amazon.  My author's page is found at https://amazon.com/author/audreyaustin     If you buy a book, you will make my day.  Thank you.

I love you all.  Please stay safe and healthy,


Audrey.  





Our 'Getting High On Life' women's workshop 
on Emotional Healing and Being Authentic
originally scheduled for May 11th
has been postponed
to September 21st, 2020.
I hope by then self-isolation will be just a memory.







No comments:

Post a Comment