My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Monday, April 27, 2020

The Strange New World in Which I Find Myself - 8

Today is Monday, April 27th and this is my eighth blog post since I began living in self-isolation with my chihuahua companions, Sam and Lila.   

Just this morning I listened to the CBC news for a just a little while, and I'm not surprised to learn that domestic violence is on the rise amid Covid-19.  

Perhaps this is one issue, like elder neglect in long term nursing homes, that will gain more attention, and with some little bit of luck, perhaps more of those who suffer such violence will discover new confidence, and stop hiding the sordid secret behind the front door.  Perhaps more women will feel able to reach out for help now that more attention is being given to this very sad issue.   

During these days of isolation I'm not meeting with my counseling clients, however, if anyone reading this blog post is experiencing events in the home that are causing fear or lack of safety, in any way, I'm only an email or a FB message away.   To my knowledge shelters are open.  I confess I have not taken the time to be certain of this but there is a website called  https://sheltersafe.ca  which is there for you.   

If you are a woman experiencing abuse, there is someone you can reach out to any time of day or night.    As it says on their website, "Help is just a click away."

I hope and pray you are not in an unsafe situation, however, if during these days of self-isolation you are feeling in need of a friend or just want the opportunity to vent, I'm here.  It's many years ago that I made the decision to receive the necessary education and training to become a psychospiritual practitioner.   Since that time I've been blessed to work with women in private counseling sessions and, as well, it has been my pleasure to offer Getting High on Life Workshops for Women.  

Hopefully, the world will soon be behaving itself again, and I've booked the meeting room for the afternoon of Monday, September 21st, in our Elliot Lake Public Library for our next workshop which will focus on Emotional Healing and Being Authentic.  




To my knowledge, today there are 2,994,690 confirmed cases of Covid-19 around our small world.  In Canada there are 46,895 and in Ontario 14,432.   As far as I am aware, today the number of confirmed cases in my small town of Elliot Lake remains at three.

I have found it essential for my own mental and emotional health to cut back on the time I listen to the news.   I don't intend to be like the proverbial ostrich with my head stuck in the sand, however, keeping up with the news is, for me, a place to visit.  It's not where I want to live.  In spite of it all, life is good.  There is much to celebrate and enjoy.  There is always something to be grateful for.

Personally, I do my best to keep some sort of structure in my daily life in isolation.  I make my bed each morning, get dressed, comb my  hair and apply a little lipstick.   I take care of the needs of my little handfuls, ensuring they are fed and happy.   My daily ventures into the yard for the necessary poop patrol happen regardless of the weather.

On my to-do list I have my teacher-less piano lessons, but do have fun reviewing some songs that the talented and patient teacher, Ann Foy, taught me several years ago.   I try not to forget my 30 minute daily aerobic work-out while I listen to the tape recording of Lesley Sanson as she tells me to walk, kick, knee lift, and side step.  

Each morning I read the prayer shared by Reverent Richard Bott, Moderator of the United Church of Canada.  And now that the weather is warming up and that beautiful sun is shining, I'm enjoying my backyard.  The deck furniture is in place out there now and I am grateful that I have my yard.  The furthest I have traveled in weeks is to the end of my driveway to put out the garbage on a Tuesday morning.    

Since my friend and talented singer, Sandra Kelterborn, introduced me to Singsnap, an online karaoke site, I've been hooked.   I don't pretend to be a singer, but I have always loved to sing.  As a child growing up in the Salvation Army Church, I always participated in the children's choir which was simply called The Singing Company.   In high school I remember taking an elective course one semester in vocal music.   Everyone and anyone can sing.   At least, that's what I believe.  It's just that some can do it better than others.   

I sing bass - way down in the basement.  Being a bass in a soprano world, especially without the ability to read music to enable harmonizing, means I don't sing publicly.   However, here alone in my home, singing away on my laptop is such good fun.   And I have discovered that, by singing, life is just naturally more joyous.  The very act of singing lifts my spirit and adds pleasure to life in isolation.  I seriously encourage you to check it out if you like to sing.  You don't need to be a great singer - you just need to have fun and enjoy it.  The link to the karaoke site is https://singsnap.com   It's free and it's fun!   If you join, I hope you will message me your user name so that we can have fun sharing the experience together.

This Monday is a beautiful, mild, and sunshiny day in Elliot Lake.   I hope you are discovering your own ways to make your days light and pleasurable even though you may be alone.   Even being alone can be pleasurable.   Get busy with google search and you will discover some wonderful guided meditations online.    And what better company can any of us have than a good book.

And, speaking of books, you know I've written quite a few of them by now.  I started writing creatively when I retired from the working world and I've never looked back.  Creative writing is my passion.  Thank you for checking out Amazon where my books are exclusively available.  My author's site is found at https://amazon.com/author/audreyaustin

I believe that, this afternoon, Ontario's plan for the first steps in re-opening the economy will be announced.   As I understand it, the peak has either been reached or will soon be reached and, hopefully, we will soon begin to see the light and to see a gradual process of re-opening; something we can all anticipate.

In the meantime, 'be your own light'.   And, if I allow myself to remember my long ago Sunday School days, I invite you to 'Brighten the corner where you are'.

Thanks for listening.   I love you all.


Audrey.  



No comments:

Post a Comment