My Books For Your Reading Pleasure

My Books For Your Reading Pleasure
Proud Indie Author

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The Strange New World In Which I Find Myself - 9

Today is Tuesday, May 5th, 2020 and I continue my days in self-isolation accompanied by my handful chihuahuas, Sam and Lila.  This is my ninth  blog post since I commenced isolation. Weather is much on my mind.  Here in my small town of Elliot Lake the temperature seems to be struggling to reach a number that can be described as warm.  But lots of sunshine and, for this, I am grateful.   Snow is forecast for the coming weekend.  I can only pray the forecast is wrong.

Yesterday I kept myself busy with laundry, and vacuuming, and all that kind of housework stuff which means today there isn't a whole lot needing to be done around the house.   So, with nothing more important on my mind, I started singing again.   I'm totally hooked on Singsnap, the online karaoke site, and I've been singing all the songs I can find that were popular in my much younger days.  They are the only ones for which I know the lyrics; the golden oldies or the old hymns, the ones I remember my Mom singing while she played the organ.

Sam and Lila spent most of the morning sleeping, and it was in only one song that they let themselves be heard.  At the end of a song they filled the house with lots of loud barking.  The song was called 'Your Cheatin' Heart',  so very appropriate, I thought.  They barked at just the right time and on the right song.  I take care of them but, believe me, these little pups are there, taking care of me.  I'd be lost without their companionship.

Yesterday afternoon my best friend came by in the afternoon.  We soaked up the sun, social distancing of course.  We will do the same this afternoon and we'll make the most of it because forecast of snow this weekend will mean either very short visits or none at all.

I've been busy with a new course on Udemy, one that I am appreciating.  It is, so far, very simplistic and has a purity about it that I find very appealing.  The course is quite a long one with many segments to complete and I've barely begun so it will keep me busy for some time.  It's called 'Shamanic Life Coach Certification'.  It's an accredited course and I am sure I'm going to learn a lot and gain much benefit from the learning.

I haven't been following the news on CBC as much as I have in the earlier days of isolation.   For my own mental and emotional health, I need to turn it off and, instead, listen to the lovely spa music; when I'm not singing my heart out myself, that is.

But I did turn the news on for a little while this morning.  I learned that globally there have been 3,584,174 confirmed cases of Covid-19; in Canada there have been 61,165, and in my province of Ontario there have been 18,310.   In my small town of Elliot Lake, to my knowledge, the number remains at three confirmed cases.

Now the focus seems to be looking into the future and there is talk of when we will be lifting some restrictions and allowing some businesses to re-open.   No one wants to get back to some kind of normality more than I do.  At the same time, I hope our world has the good sense to proceed with caution.  

I've placed an Amazon order for some face masks.  This, in itself, is an incredulous thing for me to be doing.  Never, in my wildest dreams, did I ever believe I would be preparing myself to go out into the world wearing a face mask.     

I need to wait until well into June before these masks will arrive.  I'm truly hoping that this one purchase I've made will be for something I will never have to use.

I've been home in self-isolation for several weeks now.  The furthest I've traveled outside my home is into my backyard or to the end of my driveway to put out the garbage on pick up day.  I am totally grateful to city employees who have been taking my grocery orders over the phone, shopping for me, and delivering everything I need to my front porch.  This age friendly delivery service is a godsend.  Now that they are starting to talk about reopening the economy, I have to ask myself how I feel about going out into the big world once again.

It wouldn't surprise me if I experience some culture shock the first day I venture into Foodland or Dollarama or any of the stores here in town.   Am I the only one who wonders about this?

It's a long time now since I've seen a family member in the real world.  I'm grateful for internet which gives me the assurance that all are doing okay.   I'm grateful my backyard adjoins my friend, Michelle, whose home is right behind mine.   We have had opportunities to chat, social distancing of course, over the back fence.  Other than this neighbour, the only other human I am blessed to meet in the real world is my best friend, Chuck.   

And he will be arriving in my backyard soon so I'll bring this post to a close knowing that I really haven't written much of great interest.   The fact is my life is limited in its scope given the circumstances so I don't have too much of great interest to share with you.

But I can share my hope; my hope that you are doing okay and that this strange new world will soon become a memory.   I can share my faith through my prayers.  I repeat Rev. Botts' prayer each morning and I always say my prayers at bedtime.  Sometimes I think my life is a prayer.  And although I love singing the oldies from my rock n' roll teenage years, I do also like to share my faith by singing some of the old hymns, the ones my Mom used to sing and play on the old organ.

Mostly I can share my gratitude.  I am very grateful for reasonably good health, for a comfortable home, for my beautiful fur babies, for my supportive friends and family, for the support of my town; for the leadership that I admire in Elliot Lake, and in Ontario. Federally, I am grateful for our handsome, young Prime Minister whose sincerity I trust.  He loves this country just as I do.   I know all our leaders are doing their best in unprecedented times.

I'm doing my best too; my best to stay calm, to stay busy, and to stay alert in this strange new world in which I find myself.

Thanks for reading my blog and allowing me to feel that I am being heard.   We all need to be heard.   I am no exception.   Please stay safe and healthy.  I love you all.

Audrey.   




No comments:

Post a Comment