"When God Gives Us Spring" - If you haven't read this book yet, please check it out. https://www.amazon.ca/WHEN.../dp/B00FFLUTNC/ref=sr_1_1
WHEN GOD GIVES US SPRING
by Audrey Austin (Author) Format: Kindle Edition
5.0 5.0 out of 5 stars (5)
Michael Custis Washington is a young black slave living on a cotton plantation in the Province of Virginia. He was born in 1802. Left an orphan at the age of five he is taken into the big house by his master, Alfred Gordon, to be trained as a house servant. While in this house he suffers severe emotional and sexual abuse. When he finally runs away with his wife Lucinda he is helped by the Quakers. Through the Underground Railway they reach the Elgin Settlement in Ontario, Canada. Freedom is his at last. But when the American Civil War breaks out in 1861 Michael chooses to join the Union Army. He works his way back to Virginia. Is he seeking justice or vengeance?
Here are some reviews.
Top reviews from Canada
Amazon Customer
5 out of 5 stars couldn’t put down
Reviewed in Canada on December 13, 2025
Format: Kindle Edition
I started reading this book early this morning and now a few hours later I’m finished. I love how Audrey made me feel like it was a young black man speaking, first as a child then as a man. This is the first book I’ve read of Audrey’s and it won’t be my last.
Eleanor Austin Lambert
5 out of 5 stars - excellent reading
Reviewed in the United States on January 10, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
Verified Purchase
I gave 5 stars because a lot of research was made and It was an absolutely wonderful story about slavery and so well written.
There was nothing I disliked and absolutely liked the way it was written, easy to read and understand
I would recommend from 15 and up would get a lot of knowledge as to the way things were.
Zakayah
5 out of 5 starsCaptivating!
Reviewed in the United States on March 10, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
Verified Purchase
This book was well written. It gave knowledge of the events leading up to the Civil War and the struggles black people had to face to gain their freedom.
When God Gives Us Spring is available in both Paperback and Audiobook formats on all Amazon sites.


No comments:
Post a Comment