Saturday, September 12, 2026

When God Gives Us Spring - promo poem

 

WHEN GOD GIVES US SPRING    - a poem for Mags

 

 

I be but four when Mama died

I be all alone in the world.

But Massa Alfred Gordon swore

That he was on my side.

 

Michael Custis Washington be my name

Massa gave this big name to me

Massa Alfred is a kind white man

No mama, no papa, I be his slave.

 

Leona be like my new mama, I swear

But she treat me as bad as old Wilbur

Aint nobody cares what you want, my son

Mama said that’s my burden to bear.

Chorus – Aint nobody cares what you want, my son, and that’s my burden to share.

             

No longer a child, Massa Gordon is cruel

I’m abused and for freedom I plan

With Lucinda, my love, we’ll escape the big house

We’ll be free of his sick, cruel rule.

 

The Quakers help us run from this hell

To a haven called Canada far from his grasp

John Morrison, our leader, our saviour and friend

Leaves us safe, warm, and fed with a story to tell.

Chorus – Now somebody cares what you want, my son, no longer that burden to share.

 

A challenging journey, obstacles galore

Elgin settlement will be our new home

In a small town called Chatham we settle down

Our cabin is warm. We are slaves no more.

 

Prayerful thanks to our Underground Railroad

The Fugitive Slave Law saved our lives

With Civil War in America the reason I leave

I am thankful for much, but something is owed.

              Aint nobody cares what you want, my son, and that’s my burden to bear.

 

Union Army I join and I travel far.

An old man I am but I fight and I pray

To Virginia I return with a plan in my heart

I climb the old stairs. His door is ajar.

 

The old man is sitting in dark wooden wheelchair

I point the gun straight at his nasty heart

“I’m your daddy. I loved you” he cries in defense

I pull the trigger. Who said life is fair?

              Aint nobody cares what you want, my son, and that’s my burden to bear.

 

My tears mix with hers and together we pray

I’ve returned to Lucinda and she takes my hand

We look up at the night sky and find that north star

This free black man is home where forever he’ll stay.

              Now somebody cares what you want, my son, no longer that burden to bear.

              Now somebody cares what you want, my son, no longer that burden to bear.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment